Get Started
PSU students on campus

Health Care Options

Penn State is dedicated to ensuring that military-connected students have access to comprehensive healthcare options. Depending on your campus location and the available services in the area, various healthcare access options are provided for those in Pennsylvania, including VA medical facilities, Military Treatment Facilities (MTF), TRICARE, CHAMPVA providers, Pennie (PA’s healthcare marketplace), and PA Medical Assistance.

University Health Services (UHS) and Insurance

UHS accepts both TRICARE and CHAMPVA benefits, albeit as an out-of-network provider, which may result in higher co-pays. Before visiting UHS, it’s recommended to contact your insurance to understand the specifics of your coverage, including co-pays and deductibles. To use UHS services, you’ll need to provide proof of coverage through one of the following:

  • US Uniformed Services ID card
  • TRICARE proof of insurance letter (available on the TRICARE website)
  • Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC), with information available on the VA Health Benefits website

VA Health Benefits or TRICARE

Upon admission, students with VA Health Benefits and/or TRICARE must complete the insurance waiver on LionPATH as follows:

  1. Log into LionPATH.
  2. Select “My Information”.
  3. Select “Health Insurance”.
  4. Click “Waive”.
  5. Enter your policy details.

University Park TRICARE Participation

At University Park, the University Pharmacy and Ambulance Service participates in the TRICARE program. UHS has a contract only with Tricare East Standard; individuals with Tricare Prime will need a referral, and those with Tricare West must switch to the east region.

Military-Connected Students without Health Care Coverage

Students without healthcare coverage are strongly encouraged to explore options available through Penn State, third-party providers, Pennie (PA’s official health insurance marketplace), or PA Medical Assistance. These options provide a range of coverage choices suitable for various needs and budgets.

Additional Resources

  • TRICARE and VA Coverage: For assistance with specific plan details, please contact our office directly.
    • PA Medical Assistance: Pennsylvania offers several healthcare programs designed to ensure accessible and affordable medical care for its residents: Application details are available at
        • Medicaid: Medicaid is a state and federally funded program providing health coverage to eligible individuals and families.  Note: For many Medicaid eligibility categories, payments from the Department of Veterans Affairs, such as Veteran’s disability benefits, GI Bill® housing and subsistence allowances, and aid and attendance allowances, are not counted as income.
        • Medical Assistance for Workers with Disabilities (MAWD): MAWD offers health care coverage for individuals who do not meet Medicaid income criteria and are working with a disability. More information about eligibility and how to apply can be found on the COMPASS website.
        • Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP): CHIP provides comprehensive health coverage to uninsured children and teenagers up to 19 years of age, making it a vital resource for students who have dependents. Details on how to apply for CHIP are available on the COMPASS website.
        • Pennie – PA’s Health Insurance Marketplace: Explore health insurance options available through Pennie for comprehensive coverage. Visit the Pennie website for more information and to apply:
        ·         Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS): Penn State CAPS offers a range of services to support the mental and emotional well-being of Penn State veteran students, including individual therapy, couples counseling, crisis intervention, and stress management resources. For more information or to schedule an appointment, visit the CAPS website at CAPS Resources for Veterans

Additional Assistance Options

  • SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program): Information for SNAP for College Students can be found here.  Note: Financial aid and/or work-study earnings are not counted toward income limit.   Apply through
  • Heating Assistance/ Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP):  LIHEAP aids college students who are permanent residents of Pennsylvania and who own or rent an apartment/house in the county of their school. To apply for LIHEAP or learn more about the program, visit