Get Started
PSU students on campus

Military Withdrawal

If service members receive orders to relocate or deploy, they or their spouses can request a military withdrawal. No tuition will be charged for that semester. They can return to the same major and campus when they want to re-enroll, with no fees. 

Military withdrawal is available to students who:

  • are actively-serving members (active duty and reserve duty components) of the U.S. armed services (not a contractor or civilian working for the military), and
  • are ordered to relocate and, as a result, are unable to meet class attendance and other participation requirements, including web-based activities.

Contact the campus Registrar and present a copy of your military orders with formal correspondence on unit letterhead signed by the commander requesting military withdrawal from Penn State due to orders. The formal correspondence must include the unit commander’s contact information and verification of the duration and location of the pending assignment.

Students who process a military withdrawal:

  • will not be charged tuition for the semester of withdrawal.
  • will be charged a housing assessment to cover expenses already incurred in university housing.
  • will have unused meal plan points refunded.
  • are eligible for “military re-enrollment” to the University, assuring the student access to the same major and location as was assigned at the time of withdrawal.
  • will have the re-enrollment fee waived if they are an undergraduate student. (There is no re-enrollment fee for graduate students.)
  • will have a notation placed in the Special Actions and Notes section of their transcript indicating a “military” withdrawal.

For more information, visit: The Penn State Registrar.